Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Third Relic: Relic of Eternity -- The Quest Begins


I sat at the table watching Satis eat her ice cream, and it occurred to me that I would have to leave her and Imsety to search for the final relic. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I looked at Satis and tears welled up in my eyes.



"Layla, I need you to do me a favor. Huge."
"What is it?"
"I need you to watch Satis and Imsety for me while I go and find the 3rd relic."
"What?" Layla asked. "What are you doing? They're Mr. Amin's kids!"
"Listen and listen good. I've filed a formal adoption request for them."
"Savannah!" Layla exclaimed. "Do you realize what you've done?"
"I know exactly what I'm doing. Now, please, I'm begging you. I need you to keep the kids away from Mr. Amin and I need you to keep them safe while I find the relic. I promise I will be back for them when I return."
"I can't keep them away from their father!"
"Please, Layla, it's very important. Even more important than finding these relics before MorcuCorp does."



This all started the last time I was in Egypt. Just before my visa ran out, I had to see Raffi Barakat, the relics expert in the market.


So after I'd left Layla, I went to the relics counter and saw him there. "Well, if it isn't Dr. Plumb!" he exclaimed, his round face breaking out in glee. "Layla tells me you got the second relic, and you want to know where the third one is."


"You know me well, don't you, Raffi?"
"Of course, Savannah -- I mean, Dr. Plumb." He took a deep breath. "I need you to bring me a plate of shawarma." Shawarma, according to the Wikipedia entry, is "a Middle Eastern sandwich-like wrap of shaved lamb, goat, chicken, turkey, beef, or a mixture of meats." It's a fast-food staple in these parts.
I knew that was easy to get. Since Layla was the short-order cook at the market... getting the shawarma to bribe Raffi into telling me the location of the final relic was a piece of cake. Although I suspect Raffi was going to tell me whether I brought the shawarma or not.



"So -- where's the relic?" I asked after I brought him the shawarma.

Raffi looked at me. "Your shawarma was greatly appreciated, Dr. Plumb, and I will greatly enjoy the meal." He then told me that the final relic, the Relic of Eternity, was in the Great Pyramid, in its Tomb of Death.

Tomb of Death eh? To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment