Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Boy Called Su


When I got to the Scholar's Garden, which was really an awesomely beautiful and supremely serene little place on top of a hill, I saw this one gentleman concentrating really hard on his chess. He was kind of a scrawny little thing, actually. I figured I could take him. After I whip his tail in martial arts, I thought, I'd like to challenge him to a chess match.

Of course, these things don't go according to plan. Usually. Okay, they never do.


So I introduced myself to Zhan (pronounced like the French Jean, I think). "It is very nice to meet you, Dr. Plumb," he said after curtsying.


I found out he was brave, loves the outdoors, and has a good sense of humor. Hmm. Since I have the brave trait myself, it was something we have in common.



So after talking for a bit, I challenged him to spar. He ran up to me and changed his clothes into his martial-arts uniform. We were ready to go.




Martial arts is mostly fought with your feet and your brain. It's more a matter of knowing when to move and counter-move than it is about actual traditional physical skill. In martial arts, no malice is usually intended; the skill is mostly not to be demonstrated unless one is in extreme physical distress. I underwent the training because I figured it would help me when I returned to Egypt to search for the final relic.



Zhan caught me flat-footed a couple times, actually. After I realized what had happened, I delivered a drop-kick, which he defended.


Even though I lost that round, I did gain a level, which meant no more white suit -- my new belt was yellow and the suit was black and gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment