Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Second Relic: The Relic of Life Part 8



Well, I made it through the night.
I woke up the next day ravenous and ready to head out. I knew I had to do it quickly and orderly, so I packed up my tent, popped a morsel in my mouth, and ran as fast as I could out of the pyramid.


I hit the desert on my trusty scooter and started riding. I have to admit, this little thing has become my fave vehicle.


I rode through the desert for about three and a half hours before I saw the palm trees and the tops of some buildings marking some signs of civilization. I have to admit for awhile there I thought I'd never see it again, and I was glad to see it.


When I arrived in the town square after my four and a half hour journey, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. Now I had to find Layla.

Sure enough, she was at the food counter, and for the first time I got a good look at her features. She was certainly exotic, to be sure, with slits for eyes and a warm twinkly nose with a slight hook. Her eyes were slightly closed when I walked in.


She didn't immediately recognize my presence until I saluted her and cleared my throat. Layla stood there and shook her head. "Don't tell me -- you got it."
"Sure do."
"You are incredible, do you know that?" Layla said as I brought her the relic.
I smiled. "Yeah, I do," I told her.
"Really, it's unbelievable how you secured the second relic. Meanwhile, while you were gone I've been tracking the whereabouts of the final relic with the book and the data from the computers. I believe Raffi, the relics merchant, knows where it is."



"I know Raffi," I told her. "This should be a piece of cake."

What happened next even surprised me -- and I'm not easily surprised. Not only was I paid a queen's ransom in simoleans and ancient coins and visa points, but Layla fixed me a steaming hot plate of falafel -- on the house. "It's the least I can do for my favorite adventurer," she said. "Two days in the Tomb of the Desert Ocean could not have been easy." Needless to say, I dug in. I guess you appreciate things more when they're taken away from you.


"Savannah?" she called after I'd washed my plate. "Tell me about your family."



I proceeded to tell her about my parents and siblings back home.
"Five brothers?" Layla asked. "Four of them older? My goodness, no wonder you're a tomboy. " I couldn't tell her that I was only raised with two of them and only one was older. "I'm curious, though, how someone of your background ended up here, in Egypt. How did you even get started doing this?" She seemed to be incredulous when I told her I raided my first tomb when I was a child.
"Now I know I found the right person for this." It felt good to have her vote of confidence -- it isn't easy to come by as she is fairly reserved and is not exactly the most talkative person around.

No comments:

Post a Comment