Monday, December 28, 2009

The Second Relic: Relic of Life Part 7



With the keystone in hand, I headed back upstairs to the surface levels of the tomb so that I could get to the Water Temple, where I was now more than certain the relic was located.





But danger still lurked at every turn. After all, I was not going back up the same way I came. There were entirely new hazards to navigate. I no longer felt rudderless. And the closer I got to snaring that relic, the more my heart started to pound.

Finally I headed up the staircase to head to the Water Temple. I would need to strip down to my swim gear and swim across, though.


Finally the moment of truth had arrived. After swimming across a moat, I was going to enter the Water Temple.

I looked up and once again it seemed like I was in a dream. Then I spotted something glistening up ahead...


The light emanating from it was so blinding I had to shield my eyes. There was an earthen staircase leading up to 3 like chests, with two chairs opposite the gleaming chest. Even the statues surrounding it seemed to have a supernatural sort of glow about them.


My heart racing, I sped up to the chest as fast as I could. I knew I needed to get the relic and get out of there before I was found out.


Victory at last!

The second of the three elusive relics, the Relic of Life, was finally in my hands after a two-day jaunt through the Tomb of the Desert Ocean. I've done some pretty good things, but I have to admit I surprised myself with this one.
But I knew it was getting quite late, and not only was going back to base camp out of the question from this far out, but I was fairly certain I couldn't even make it past the river. I also knew that if I stayed put, I risked being found out by the Morcucorp goons.



I made a difficult decision, a decision I knew was risky. I knew I was tempting fate with this one, but doing so is my nature. I set up my tent at the foot of the temple and fell asleep, right then and there. Whether or not I would still be there in the morning would be anyone's guess, including mine.



I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I cradled the relic in my arms. If I'm killed here, I thought, at least I'm going to die doing what I love, just like my Aunt Margaret did.

Dreams of gilded relics and mystical pyramids, Savannah

No comments:

Post a Comment