Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Day One: Phoenix Martial Arts Academy


I left the Halls of the Lost Army on bicycle and headed toward Deng with the relic in my backpack.



When I spotted him in his backyard, I called him out. "Deng! Deng! I'm back! I got it!" I could hear my voice echo in the air.


"You have it?"
"I sure do."


"I'm very impressed with your skill. What did you say your name was?"
"Savannah," I told him, "Savannah Rachel Plumb."


I knew when I arrived in China that I wanted to learn martial arts. I had seen a lot of the kung fu movies on television and wanted to learn it for myself.
So after I left Deng's with a fist full of simoleans and ancient coins, I went across town to the famed Phoenix Martial Arts Academy.


I was surprised that the facilities are so spartan. I walked inside and there were others using the apparatus to practice.
Since the apparatus was being used already I decided to go to the nearby retreat. Here, I was alone, just like I like it. I'm not shy, I just prefer my own company. I've always been that way.
I spotted the required practice apparatus on a balcony and decided to start practicing it. It was a rough go of it, I poked myself in the eye a couple times.


My practice paid off with a brand new white belt and a spiffy new uniform.

After getting my uniform, I tucked myself into one of the spare beds and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment