Thursday, March 8, 2018

Day One - The Arrival


The name Selvadorada directly translates to 'golden jungle' in Spanish, and jungle it most definitely is.  (I don't know about the golden part yet.)  When I arrived there, I was presented with a vast tableau of wild untamed, unexplored greenery, some of which hadn't seemed to have been touched for millennia


When I arrived there, I got some lodging, and was presented with a machete, and a can of spider spray.  I soon realized why I needed the machete - I needed it to cut through the thicket of overgrown weeds that had covered everything, not unlike the rocks I had to hammer through in the tombs in Egypt and France years ago.  I knew I was rusty, but I didn't realize I was this rusty.   Is this what having five kids after your last adventure can do?


Anyway, I cleared one thicket...


...only to drop my bag in quicksand!  Needless to say, I was super pissed.


I let out more than a few expletives and stood there, for a good couple of hours.


After I calmed down some, I walked across this absolutely gorgeous bridge with some of the most breathtaking waterfalls I'd ever seen in my life.


I came across an archeological dig site, which of course was going to be part of the slide show for my students.


Carefully I took notes on the location and contents of the dig site.


While I was doing that, though, a snake slithered within inches of me.  It didn't bother me though and went on about its business. 


Next, as I left the dig site, I was nearly eaten alive by a swarm of angry bees!  I decided to use my logic to calmly focus and stay still, hoping the bees would go away.  And they did.

  

After cutting through another thicket, I discovered a temple!  Unfortunately, I was tired and famished, so that concluded my first day of exploration.

1 comment: